In late 2006, my wife
and I moved to Tucson, AZ from Washington State. She wasn't my wife
at the time; after dating for about eight months, we decided to move
out of state together and see what developed. She had plans of
possibly attending the University of Arizona, but wasn't really sure
if that would happen or not. What she knew was that she didn't want
to keep living in Washington, the place where she was raised and had
had enough of by the time she was sixteen. Off and on she'd lived in
Missouri to attend Stephens College, Oxford, England to attend
college there, and in San Francisco for a few years. Despite her
efforts to get away, at some point she would always come back to
Washington, and she always hated it.
I didn't hate it so
much, but then, I'd never really been anywhere else. It's where I
was born and raised, where I was more or less educated, and all I
knew of America and the world. Like most provincial people, my
perspective on life was grossly limited to the things I was used to
and the people I'd known since I was young. There was home, and
there was everywhere else. I considered everywhere else to be
largely out of reach. That kind of provincialism and limited scope
was precisely what my then-girlfriend despised about the part of
Washington where we lived, and it amazes me to this day that she saw
enough in me to want to hitch her life to mine.
It was a big move for
me to uproot myself from the place I knew and start a new life with
someone else in a city neither of us had ever been to and knew very
little about. My parents thought I was crazy. The responses of
friends and acquaintances ranged from cautiously supportive to
outright resentful. The band I was in at the time especially seemed
to take my leaving as a kind of betrayal, and I found I had to cut
ties with those people if I was going to maintain my sanity over the
course of the move.
Through August and
September we moved into a guest house behind another house that was
in the process of being renovated, on a side street off of Alvernon
Way. I don't remember exactly how big it was, but it couldn't have
been more than 425 square feet, if even that. The living room and
bedroom were the same space, a tiny kitchen connected to that, and
off the kitchen was the bathroom, all set in a straight line. It was
small, but comfortable, and we made it work for a little over seven
months before moving to a one-bedroom close to downtown. We had
access to the washer and dryer in the otherwise empty house in front
of us, a gas range, and a dry, hardscrabble yard. The security
deposit was an unheard-of $150, and our rent was $450, electricity
included. To put that in perspective, apartment managers in
Washington typically want a deposit the size of the rent, plus the
rent for the previous month and the month you're moving in.
The low cost of living
is one of the things that has, over time, kept us coming back to
Tucson. After living on Hawai'i's Big Island for a year, we returned
to Tucson. And now, after more than a year on the road traveling
through the eastern United States (a trip you can read about on
easterntrails.blogspot.com), we've come back a second time to begin
the next phase of our lives. In total, we've lived here for the
better part of five years, with a projection of another two years
before we leave again.
The reason for the low
cost of living is obvious once you've spent about a week in the
Tucson metro area. The city is very poor compared to many other
American cities, and it resides in the poorest county in Arizona. As
a result, the rate of crime is high, a fact we discovered two weeks
after moving here.
The laundry room in the
empty house had a door that didn't lock. Normally, one wouldn't be
inclined to think of that as a problem. We'd gotten into the habit
of sometimes leaving our laundry in the dryer overnight with the
intention of taking it out in the morning. One morning, I went out
to the laundry room and noticed something unusual. The load looked a
lot smaller than the one I had put in the night before. The towels
were missing, and there were fewer socks and underwear than I
remembered. It took me a minute to realize someone had stolen half
our load. I was confused; who the hell steals laundry? TV's and
stereos I can see, but underwear? When I told my wife, she was as
surprised as I was, but eventually concluded that anyone who would go
through the trouble of stealing socks and towels out of a stranger's
dryer probably needed them more than we did.
It was a bad neighborhood. Not bad in the sense
that there were roving gangs of armed thugs (though Tucson does have
those, mainly on the south end), but bad in the sense that you
couldn't go a day without being panhandled by a meth addict or
alcoholic. In a residential area a couple of blocks off a main thoroughfare,
that's pretty bad. Prostitutes are common enough in the business
districts between Oracle Road and Alvernon Way that any woman walking
alone stands a chance of being propositioned, particularly by men in
big pickup trucks with the names of the construction companies they
work for clearly emblazoned on the doors. It wasn't until years
later that I found out the block inside Grant Road, Dodge, and
Alvernon—our neighborhood―had
some of the highest numbers of meth-related arrests, which would
explain the rows of up to twenty cop cars I'd see sometimes parked up
and down Flower Street.
And there was the night a stranger showed up in
our yard sometime before midnight, pacing around and talking on a
cell phone. From what we could make out, it sounded like he was
talking to a 911 dispatcher. We went outside to question him, and it
was immediately obvious he'd been drinking. As he explained it to
us, he'd been hanging out with a female friend when her boyfriend
showed up and started beating on him. “That guy's crazy. We
weren't even doing anything. She told me she wasn't with him
anymore, so I don't see what he's so mad about.” He said he was
calling a cop in case the guy came looking for him. We told him that
was fine, but he needed to do it somewhere other than our yard. As
this was going on I recalled hearing, about fifteen minutes earlier,
a lot of loud, angry shouting down the street. I assumed the man in
our yard had been involved. A few moments later, a police officer
showed up, after going back and forth a couple of times looking for
the address, and started asking the man some questions. It was one
of the few times I'd been glad to see a cop. We went back in the
house, glad not to have to deal with a drunken idiot anymore.
It took a few weeks for me to realize Tucson has a
good side that offsets the general seediness you encounter daily. In
November of that year we attended our first Day of the Dead
procession, dressed in a tuxedo and wedding dress with our faces
painted in skull makeup, to march along with a motley crowd of
skeletons, demons, giant clown puppets and ghosts along 4th Avenue
and through downtown. We saw a movie at the Loft Theatre, the
coolest movie theater I've ever set foot in, devoted to foreign and
independent film, cult favorites and B-movie oddities. Tucson has
restaurants of nearly every type; I ate Vietnamese for the first
time here, at a well-known eatery called Miss Saigon (which I'm
currently boycotting because they badly screwed up a spring roll
order for our wedding reception, but don't let that stop you from
eating there). Our favorite at the moment is Mother Hubbard's on
Grant and Stone (also the location of a decent Asian import store
called, creatively, the Grantstone), a diner that specializes in
southwestern ingredients and makes the majority of its food from
scratch.
This is a blog about Tucson, the Tucson I've known
over the last seven years and Tucson as I live in it today. Some
posts will read like essays, others like journal entries. All will
reflect impressions and opinions of the city I have adopted as my
home. I'll try, though it won't be easy, to say as many good things
as bad about this addled, off-center, borderline wild west
town. After all, as the title of the blog says, Tucson only kind of
sucks.




No comments:
Post a Comment