On July 30th I went and
saw King Buzzo, frontman for the greatest rock band on Earth, perform
at Club Congress. I kept putting off buying a ticket for this show,
mistakenly believing it was going to be a dull evening watching Buzz
Osbourne strum a guitar and croon some new material while sitting on
a stool, periodically making aloof chit-chat with the audience.
Oh how wrong I was.
Jesus, this man is a born showman. He played unaccompanied acoustic
versions of Melvins tunes plus some stuff off his new solo EP, all
while stalking and staggering around the stage, veering between
demonic menace and rapturous abandon, belting out soulful,
perfectly-pitched vocals in the way only Buzzo knows how to do. He played guitar
as much like a percussion instrument as a stringed one, and at times
seemed almost swallowed up in a passion that took over
every cell of his body.
Then, after every few
songs, he'd stop, and, almost as if a switch had been thrown in his
brain, he'd transform into a jovial, lightning-witted, comedic
storyteller, proving that, if he'd taken a different path in life,
he'd have made a pretty decent stand-up, if not a great one.
Much of what he had to
say referred to his over 30 years in show business, touching on the
difficulties the Melvins had gaining any ground in the music
industry. He described what it was like opening for Mr. Bungle while
they toured in the 90's (“Rumor has it we were booed off the stage.
That's not true. We were booed as we got on the stage.”),
following up with how an enraged Mike Patton, after reaming out the
crowd's eardrums with a solid hour of grinding, distorted white
noise, gave himself an enema and shit (shat? It never sounds right) seven feet into the first few rows.
Buzzo held the audience
in thrall for over an hour—I could have watched him perform for
three times that. He's just that damn good.
One of the best live
shows I've ever seen, and I almost considered not going. The last
time I saw a live performance was a year ago when my wife and I saw
Daikaiju play in a small gallery on Stone Avenue, and that was
because local favorites the Mission Creeps, who've we've been
acquainted with for several years, were opening for them. I missed
the Melvins the last time they came through Tucson in 2009 (though we
did catch them in 2008 with Big Business at Plush, now The
Flycatcher), so I felt it was important to make an effort this time.
I wasn't disappointed. There's something inspiring about watching
someone do what they love most, and doing it well.
No comments:
Post a Comment