Wednesday, September 4, 2013

A Short Meditation On Bike Theft In Tucson


What's missing?


Over seven years of living here, I've had one bike stolen and the wheels stolen off the bike that replaced the first one. I've had the battery-powered lights pulled off and shattered on the pavement. Someone tried to steal the seat by pulling the seat post out of the frame, but stopped midway through and decided not to go any further for some reason, maybe because they were afraid of being caught. On all of these occasions I had left my bike unattended while working a shift at my job. Tucson is many things, and one of those things is a nest of bicycle thieves.

A lot of people in the Tucson metro area ride bicycles. Many are students, some are enthusiasts, and others are too poor or too previously-incarcerated to own a car or a license. In my case, we don't own a car because we are a) too poor, b) too cheap, and c) too environmentally conscious (in a certain light you can actually see rainbow colors refracting through our halos). After a year of riding the bus and finding it to be a stressful and unreliable way of getting around, I switched to bicycles, and they've remained my chief mode of transportation around the city of Tucson. The bicycle I own is important to me, it gets me to places I don't just want to go but need to go, and without it I'd find life in the city much more challenging than it already is.

Which is why I've been in a foul mood for the last few days. On Sept.2, some asshole stole the seat off my mountain bike, including the seat post. The bike was locked to the metal rail right outside our apartment door, meaning the thief was passing by and happened to see a bike with a removable part he could run off with, or worse, is someone currently living in the same complex with us. It doesn't matter either way, I'm just as pissed that I have to replace the seat. On top of everything else we've been dealing with in the last month (trouble getting a land line installed in our studio apartment, an apparent bedbug infestation, difficulty finding jobs) this is the shit-flavored icing on a big crap cake. At least as far as the seat goes, there's a great used bicycle collective called BICAS that sells parts. I've purchased a new seat, but still need a seat post that fits my frame. Most of the stuff I need will cost less than ten bucks all together, much less than I would pay at most bike shops.

I hate to keep harping on the crime in Tucson, but there it is. I've just been the victim of a property crime. What I hate is that, for the person who stole the seat, that part means nothing more than a couple more bucks toward buying drugs. It's not like they're going to get a lot of money out of it. But for me, it's a part of my single best means of transportation, my wheels, something I use daily to live my life here. It was a petty crime, and I can easily replace the part, but it sucks to be a victim. And the incident serves as a reminder that to live in Tuscon, you have to tolerate chronic, consistent theft. That's just how it is here.


No comments:

Post a Comment