Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Even More Freaky Tucson Landmarks




And now for more funny/unusual/admirable things a person can find just sitting around in the city of Tucson.



This giant Easter Island head used to live at Magic Carpet Golf on Speedway Boulevard until that place closed several years ago. Now it stands in front of The Hut, a bar on 4th Avenue. It's nice that somebody found a use for it beyond smashing it into gravel-sized chunks and tossing it in a landfill. Also, for people with sentimental memories of that particular miniature golf course, this huge head (which everyone insists on calling a “tiki head” in spite of the fact that it doesn't bear any resemblance to actual tiki designs) will serve as a permanent reminder—provided The Hut doesn't close—of a bygone time in Tucson, now serving as a landmark for a place where U of A students can get tipsy on beer and cocktails while trying to get laid. So really, not all that different from miniature golf.




All hail this weird thing! I have no idea what this is or who put it there. It's quite a thing, though. You can find this on 1st Avenue just a block or so south of the Pima Library. Metal sculpture isn't uncommon in Tucson—there's a place called the Sculpture Resource Center near downtown where projects like this sometimes come into being. Maybe that's where it's from. I don't know. I like it because it's a jungle gym with metal flowers on it—how often do you see that? Not every day, I can tell you that much.



Paul Bunyan. So what, right? Lots of towns have a big Paul Bunyan standing outside of a business, especially if it sells timber or pre-cut log cabins or something. I have to admit I have a soft spot for this kind of thing. Don't ask me why, but I like cheesy Americana. It's not like I'm a big flag-waving, truck driving, red-blooded patriot in the Toby Keith vein, but if I go into a mom-and-pop diner with antique farm implements on the walls alongside varnished circular sections of logs painted with airbrushed bald eagles and American flags, I'm positively tickled. Again, I can't even begin to tell you why that is. And big Paul Bunyan statues fit right in there. I think I like the idea that they embody a piece of American folklore, a part of our storytelling history that we've kept alive. I feel the same way about chainsaw art of Bigfoot.



After somebody stole my bike seat, I took off for BICAS to buy a new (used) one. For some reason, I couldn't find it, even though I've been there several times. While riding around the neighborhood seatless, I came across this metal sculpture. Judging from the weathering, I assume it's bronze. The dual fish were the first thing to catch my attention. Then I changed angles and saw this:



There's a horned toad hiding between the fish. I really like this piece, but I find it a little confusing. I get that the horned toad represents the desert, but what do the fish symbolize? The only place you'll find fish in southern Arizona is at a sushi restaurant. Do they refer to the now-deceased Santa Cruz and Rillito rivers, that maybe once had fish in them before they turned into dry riverbeds? I suppose it's possible. No matter what the sculpture is trying to communicate, I like the design. Animal sculptures are the best.



So what's the best animal sculpture in Tucson, after the Snake Bridge? Maybe it's this Tyrannosaurus Rex next to a McDonald's on the corner of East Grant and Tanque Verde. Up until recently, I thought this was another remnant of the same miniature golf course our booze-purveying friend from Easter Island came from. Not at all; the owner of the McDonald's has a son who was a huge fan of Jurassic Park, like any healthy child. So he commissioned a T. Rex from a company that had a connection to the construction of the animatronic dinosaurs from the movies, for $55,000. Some kids have very charmed lives. I like this thing for two reasons: first, as I think everyone can agree, dinosaurs are cool. And second, it's nice to see a McDonald's do something to set itself apart, considering McDonald's restaurants come in about two designs, the exact same ones you see all across the United States. A dinosaur statue such as this one adds a personal touch you rarely see at chain restaurants, or chain businesses in general. So kudos to you, wealthy McDonald's owner who buys his kid super-expensive presents. You've given us something we can all enjoy, even if we go out of our way to avoid McDonald's greasy, weird-tasting food.



No comments:

Post a Comment